Learning & research
The academy believes that all educators must be learners themselves and as such is committed to high levels of professional development.
We encourage all staff to be critically reflective practitioners.
Staff are supported through a dedicated programme of development which includes:
- A minimum of 5 INSET days a year which cover all statutory training e.g. Prevent, Safeguarding
- Access to fully-funded Level 2 NCFE courses
- A range of surgeries e.g. behaviour, speech and language, subject-specific
- Access to external specialised support e.g. education psychologists
- Development of Quality First Teaching and SEND knowledge
- Team Teach and de-escalation training
Our partnerships with a range of institutions allow us to draw on their knowledge and expertise to provide training for staff e.g. training on Dyslexia from Bath Spa University.
Staff are encouraged to be active readers. The academy has a wide range of reading material which staff can borrow. Staff also have access to our weekly trust bulletin, Reach Out, which includes opportunities for reading and professional development.
We embrace our trust’s values of being evidence-informed and adopt the principles of Visible Learning to meet the needs of our learners. Staff are also encouraged to use action research approaches as we believe an enquiry approach, rooted in classroom practice, will help us determine what does and does not work for our learners.
Some staff will choose to extend their skills through enrolling in academic qualifications which contain a research element, for example Level 5 diplomas, undergraduate degrees, the Chartered Teacher Programme and Masters’ degrees.
Staff also have access to an in-house research group which meets once a term.